The 2012 Age Action Christmas Lunch was sponsored by Bluebird Care. This year the event was organised to raise much-needed fuds for Age Action's Care and Repair Programme.
Care and Repair delivers DIY support to older people across Ireland.Programme Manager Claire Bellis, said little supports make a huge difference to the lives of older people.
The Care & Repair Programme was established by Age Action to carry out minor repairs for older and vulnerable people free of charge, to give them access to reliable tradesmen for larger jobs and to provide a befriending service. The vision of the programme is to enable older and vulnerable people to remain in their own homes, in their own communities, living as independently as possible, through the improvement of their housing conditions and their level of comfort, security and well-being.
The Care and Repair Programme consists of five services:
- The Repair Service uses a pool of volunteers and handypersons to carry out small repairs and to complete minor home tasks for older people. The most common services required by older people are: Minor gardening, minor painting (e.g. front door, garden gate), changing plugs, fuses and light bulbs, hanging curtains, installing security locks and chains, installing domestic smoke alarms. All requests for small jobs are considered.
- The Care Service is a home visiting or befriending service using volunteers to provide regular social contact to older people who are at risk of isolation in their own homes.
- The Trades Referral Service is an option whereby a register of reliable and honest tradespersons is maintained. Through this means, informed recommendations can be made to older people who may have job requirements which are beyond the scope of the Repair Service. In this way, clients can have confidence that the prices charged for these larger jobs by professional tradespeople will be reasonable and that the service provided will be of a good standard.
- The Quote Check Service is a service whereby an experienced volunteer visits the older person’s home, assesses a large job and gives an informed opinion about quotations received by the client from professional tradespersons. QuoteCheck gives the older person peace of mind and the assurance that the prices being quoted do not constitute a “rip off”.
- The Daily Contact Service is a daily phone call made to the client at a pre-arranged time by a volunteer. The purpose of the call is to make sure that the client is in good spirits and not in need of urgent support (especially medical attention).
Learn more about Care and Repair here.
Almost €10,000 was raised and we would like to congratulate Fundraising Manager Rhona O'Connor for making the event a huge success. We would also like to thank MC George Hook, David O'Connor and the Massey Brothers Choir for providing the entertainment.
View photos from the event here on our facebook page. Photos by Conor Ó'Mearáin.