In Ireland, it is currently estimated that 42,000 people have some form of dementia, and these figures will increase dramatically over the next 30 years. There may be people in your family or community living with dementia that you are unaware of and in need of your support.
Bluebird Care and the DCU Dementia Elevator Team are hosting dementia awareness training on Tuesday 24th January at 7pm in the New Ross Library, Wexford.
This is a FREE event.
Who Should Attend?
The content of this programme is a high level look at increasing dementia awareness in general will be very beneficial to anyone who wishes to learn more about dementia, it is also broadly applicable to families of a person with dementia.
· To develop familiarity and raise awareness of dementia
· Break down the stigma associated with Dementia
· Encourage the support of people with dementia in their community
· Equip people with some skills to support and engage appropriately with people with dementia.
· Recognise when a person may have dementia
· Identify common challenges a person with dementia may encounter in public situations
· Consider a range of options for supporting the person when faced with these challenges
· Identify ways of improving the environment to become more dementia friendly.
Who are Bluebird Care?
Bluebird Care provide Home Care services throughout County Wexford to people of all ages and all abilities so that they can live independently at home and in their community. Bluebird Care provides care and support to older people, people with physical disabilities, people with intellectual disabilities as well as care for children.
What is Dementia Elevator?
Dementia Elevator is an education and empowerment programme to help individuals, community services and health care services engage with and support people affected by dementia. The project is a partnership between Dublin City University and the HSE.
This event is open to the general public. Booking is essential, to book a place call New Ross Library on 051 421877.
New Ross library on Tuesday at 7pm,