The support we provide for people with intellectual disabilities is tailored to each individual's needs – we do not believe in a ‘one size fits all’ approach.
We believe in a person-centred approach which means that the needs of the individual are at the heart of everything we do. Person-centred planning is where Bluebird Care draws up a support plan to identify the goals and aspirations of the individual while regularly measuring outcomes.
We start by talking to our customer, family members and healthcare professionals involved in supporting the individual. While our professional experience is paramount, and we advise accordingly, we will always ensure the personal wishes, choices and priorities of our customer and the family are at the centre of Bluebird Care's support planning and delivery.
Personal Assistant (PA)
The role of the personal assistant is very different from the traditional role of the care worker. The primary focus here is to work with individuals who have an intellectual or sensory disability, or who may have an acquired brain injury caused by, for example, a stroke or a road trafﬁc accident.
To support people with this type of disability, the personal assistant provides a supportive and enabling environment that encourages independent living within the community, allowing people to live their lives as fully as possible and supporting them in all kinds of activities; always, however, with safety and security in mind.
The role of the personal assistant has many aspects and the work they do can vary from one individual to another. But their principal functions include:
Support with Everyday Needs
- Co-operating with the person in facilitating care/self-care and daily living requirements
- Supporting and assisting the individual in maintaining their own homes, clothing and other personal effects (general household duties)
- Developing an understanding of the person’s speciﬁc needs and aspirations, in order to enable them to communicate effectively their wishes and intentions
- Facilitating mobility within the individual’s own home and in the community
- Assisting with medication
- Helping with dietary requirements, such as meal preparation, eating and/or drinking, shopping and supplies management and assisting with healthy eating choices
- Assisting with all aspects of personal care and continence management
- Support with Social, Leisure and Vocational Needs
- Escorting the person outside of their home as required, so as to promote community involvement
- Keeping appointments
- Attending college and supporting the person by taking and writing up notes
- Promoting the individual’s personal interests and hobbies, or developing new skills
- Accessing employment and possible voluntary work
- Assisting with the management of ﬁnances, to ensure household bills are paid
- Socialising e.g. nights out.
Bluebird Care can provide you with tailor made support and assistance, delivered by supportive professionals enabling you to live life to its full potential.
To find out more about our services for people with a physical disability click here.
Home & Community Enablement
Our support can be wide ranging and flexible, from personal care through to support, leading to an independent lifestyle. This can include:
- a trip into town for shopping
- meeting friends
- pursuing a favourite sport or hobby
- budgeting and financial planning support
- everyday household tasks
- menu planning
- support to attend medical appointments
- support in managing medication
- developing exercise programmes
- 24-hour support service
Intellectual Disability Services: Our support workers are highly trained, with extensive practical experience across many different areas of disabilities. These include behaviours that challenge, autistic spectrum disorders, complex health needs, physical disabilities and sensory impairment.
Here is an example of a customer who requires intellectual disability support.
Please contact Bluebird Care to talk about the options which may be available in your area and what we can do to help. Click on the relevant county below to find your local office.